CHINA SOCIETY OF PLANT PROTECTION 2004 ANNUAL REPORT AND 2005 ACTIVITY PLAN
After the 15th IPPC was successfully held in Beijing on May 11-16, 2004, the main tasks performed by the China
Society of Plant Protection under the leadership of the Supervisory Council and the Presidency of Prof.
Cheng Zhuo-min in 2004 were the following:
1) The annual academic meeting was held in the Suzhou City, Jiangsu province on Oct. 25-28, 2004. More than 200
plant protection scientists from 26 regions have attended the meeting. Its leading theme was "technological systems for sustainable control of crop pests --in the development paradigm of plant protection science and technology".
There were 10 plenary lectures focused on the following topics: research advances of plant protection in the world
based on the scientific program conducted during the 15th IPPC, pest forecast techniques, biological control, plant
resistance, biosafety assessment of GMO, the effects of allelochemical stress produced by plants, vegetable pest
management,ecological management of cotton aphids,medium and long-term prospects for plant protection science,etc.
2) The 2nd National Symposium of Bio-pesticides and the 3rd National Workshop of Novel and Eco-friendly Pesticides
and Technology were held at the same time in Wuhan city, Hubei province on Nov. 21-24, 2004. More than 150 delegates attended the two meetings and they were researchers, extensionists, management officials, entrepreneurs from
institutes, universities and companies. 95 research papers were submitted to the meetings, 16 of them were chosen
through public appraisal as excellent research papers.
3) The 7th National Weed Sciences Conference celebrating the 50th anniversary of chemical herbicide application in
China, was held in Haerbin city, Heilongjiang Province. A total of 9 lectures were given by eminent weed scientists during the Conference. On the basis of weed science and safety of environment and foodstuff, the delegates reviewed the development history of chemical herbicide application in China, actively discussed the problems related to weed control and brought forward suggestions how to minimize adverse effects of herbicides.
4) The 8th National teaching and research symposium of pesticide science was conducted in Yangling, Shanxi Province
to promote the cooperation of teaching and research in weed science.
5) Besides the above activities, the CSPP also mobilized plant protection scientists to go to the countryside for
publicizing the knowledge of plant protection.
The new workplan of the China Society of Plant Protection in 2005
1) Six academic meetings and one training course will be held this year, focusing on biological control, improvement of pesticide application technique, invasive pests and their management,sustainable integrated pest management,etc.
2) The meeting of provincial presidents, provincial secretaries-general and division leaders of CSPP will be held on 23-26 March in Hubei Province to prepare the "November Meeting" (see below) and other things.
3) The annual general assembly of the national members will be held in early November 2005 in Hangzhou ( about
400-500 people ) to report progress on Plant Protection Sciences; to award best research papers from published; to
select about 20 distinguish young Chinese scientists for special awards, and to reelect the CSPP council.
Prof. Cheng Zhuo-min
President of the China Society of Plant Protection
IAPPS Regional Coordinator for Region V-B (East/SE Asia)